|The Town of Altamont was the last town organized in Franklin County. It was formed from the Town of Waverly |
in 1890. Some of the earliest settlers carried the names of Cole, Epps, Moody, Brigham,
Stetson, Westcott and McLaughlin.
On July 16, 2004, to avoid confusion with the other Altamonts around New York State, Town Councilors voted to
rename the town to the Town of Tupper Lake.