|The Town of Belmont was founded on March 25, 1833 after it was annexed from the Town of Chateaugay.|
It is named after William Bell who had been an employee of William Constable, the founder of the Town of Constable.
Settlement occurred in three areas of the town. In the east, around Lower Chateaugay Lake it started around 1816 with Drews,
Merrills, Sanborns, Jacksons, Otis', Bellows, Miles, Estabrooks and Weeds.
In the north central area were Orcutts, Richeys, Barrys, Winkleys, Bunkers, Headings, Howes, Smiths, and Williamsons.
The first settlers in the extreme western part of the town were Rings, Monks and Boyces.